Trifonic Production Secrets: What Do You Want to Know?

We get a lot of emails asking about our techniques for programming our music and designing our sounds. We’re of course always happy to answer emails, but I figure it would be valuable to get a more public discussion going as well.

So, I’m thinking about starting a production blog where I’ll show how we do things in the studio and try to answer as many production-related questions as I can.

If this sounds interesting to you, I need your input: What topic(s) should I cover? What questions do you have about Trifonic’s production? What are you most interested in learning about?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts…

Tags: , ,

19 Responses to “Trifonic Production Secrets: What Do You Want to Know?”

1. brian mcbrearty August 20, 2009 at 10:33 am #

ah hell this is gonna be cake…. lemme go listen to the record and start a damn list…

can’t believe my next cd is now gonna sound exactly, EXACTLY, like yours. Very pleased about this development.

brian

exactly the same, did I mention

2. Morphido August 20, 2009 at 12:47 pm #

I think it’s a great idea and I’m sure too many people will participate in this blog (including me!!!).
    Let’s go! 🙂

3. Ruido August 20, 2009 at 2:24 pm #

yeahhhhh!!! thank you thank you…. briliant!!

so… How do you do those amazing ambiences???

How did you achive that unique bassline that you got on parks on fire and those cuts at the end,,, they are brilliant.

Sorry if i’m to excited but you have top production!!
    Congrats

looking forward to this!!!
    R

4. orangeguy81 August 21, 2009 at 6:09 am #

BASSicaly..lol pun..
    Reese basslines.. They are fantastic and I would love to know how to make one.

5. Brian August 21, 2009 at 12:56 pm #

I definitely want to cover how we create ambient sounds as I think that is the key to capturing and expressing much of the emotion in the tracks

6. Brian August 21, 2009 at 12:59 pm #

I plan on doing some Reece tutorials. There are so many different ways to make te “reese” type sounds, but i’ll make a tutorial in which we dissect the “gutterbox” reese sound and some other ones too

7. Luke August 25, 2009 at 10:28 pm #

As others have stated; the bass. What do you do to get so nice?

– How to make layers of clicks and drones sound so nice too?
    – Where do you come up with some of the drum pieces? Anything specific or is just whatever comes to you?

8. Frost August 27, 2009 at 1:17 pm #

I have just one question.
    Who are the vocalists on ‘Emergence’? 😉

9. The Spark That Thought August 27, 2009 at 1:20 pm #

I’m definitely curious about your drums. What kind of combination of synthesized/sampled do you use? If you use samples, where do you get them? What kind of processing do you use? Audio or MIDI? Or a combination?

Also, basses. Yes. Absolutely curious about how you get such clarity on the low low end.

10. orangeguy81 August 28, 2009 at 4:52 pm #

Frost: http://www.trifonic.com/liner-notes/track-details/

11. beldragim September 3, 2009 at 6:33 am #

This is gonna be great! I’m was really amazed when I first heard your sound!! My bit of questions: how do you go on composing your tracks (I know every track is different, some may start with a simple sounds others with full laid down ideas but…), how do you go on to decide song structures, final arrangements, instrument layers, etc…

12. Sam September 4, 2009 at 8:23 pm #

Hey Brian
    I think its SSOOOO great that artist such as yourself give so much to the world. Me and a friend just started to do a remix of a song and decided to give the same kind of feel as Sooner Or Later and would love to know how you created the glitchy Delays in the breakdown that sound like they are speeding up and slowing down whilst being panned.

13. Cole September 5, 2009 at 9:48 am #

I would love to know how you do you stutter edits and how to use cecilia( can’t even get it to work on my MBPro )

14. GrayHogan September 18, 2009 at 12:11 pm #

What kind of things would I like to know? How about your production process- I’ve tried to do my own thing for a few years, and would love to know how or what inspires you- how you actually get what is in your head to in the box, etc. I’m tooling with your songs right now, trying to come up with a true re-mix, that is, only taking the original elements and re-organizing them into a new song. Not that I could do better than the original, just different.

15. razzmatazz September 22, 2009 at 7:33 am #

guys, to make it short – I love your work.
    I am listening to your emergence album everywhere, in the car, at home, at the office, on my player.
    keep doing it, for all our sake.

16. Torley October 9, 2009 at 7:09 pm #

An underrated one: how do you perceive your relationship with your mastering engineer? After you’ve mixed a track, what suggestions do you give so the final mastering render will complement your vision?

17. Daniel Evans May 22, 2010 at 6:52 pm #

So I would love to know your Reverb Tips and how you get those really clean and vast verbs. I can never seem to get a good digital reverb that doesn't muddying the mix into a black hole, or what about blending in multiple grain delays so everything fits together. Do you right everything dry and at it in the mix?

18. Nik Szajner December 24, 2010 at 10:34 pm #

I would love to know exactly how you start to record each song. Each track has so many things going on I would love to know what was or were the first tracks of your songs. They are all so beautifully layered and each one is seemingly handcrafted to sound amazing together. I cannot even imagine where or what you would start with on each track and I would love to hear how you go about creating a demo concept for your songs

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. trifonic.com » Blog Archive » Trifonic production blog is live: Next Step Audio - January 3, 2010

[…] few months ago we mentioned we’d be launching a production blog, and I’m happy to say that it’s finally here: […]